Sarge to Etch upgrade issues. Reporting wierdness: Any Others??

I had Sarge installed on two drives in the same production machine for since
it became stable. I use one drive to test new software and configurations.
The other drive  is used as a web server . I do what I am planning on the
test server drive & if I have no problems I reboot & switch to the production
web server, & make the same tweaks there. That way I am never left in a
situation where the web sites are down for more than the time it takes to
reboot. Recentlt when Etch became very near stable I did an absolutely
flawless dist-upgrade on the test drive and then over the last 2 weeks I kept
upgrading the test drive with no issues. I got very comfortable with the Etch
install & decided it was time to make the switch on the production drive. WOW
what a difference. Absolutely nothing went the same as the first drive. I
have after 4 days of cleanups, reinstalls and numerous areas of research
gotten the production drive to working.
All this leads me to the real issues.
1. X-org seems to have real issues with console-tools and prefers kbd in order
to work at all  and still is a real messed up deal. Same issue on both
drives. ( I have seen this before)
2. When switching from X to a console screen & back the X-org server craps out
and the screen is unreadable.  I tried switching the resolutions but that
simply froze the screen & I had to restart the Xserver. It always seems to
work OK after a soft restart. Production drive only.
3. The F2 F3 & etc. console screens display is so small I can barely read it
though F1 is OK. During the boot up the F1 console screen does go through a
change in display characters that was not there before.  Production drive
only.
4 Apache2 did the wierdest thing of all when I upgraded it. It rewrote all of
my web sit configs in /etc/apache2/available.sites  It did not simply remove
them & set up a default site as I have seen in the past. It actually rewrote
them with a completely different url syntax. Of course they do not work, but
they are all there.  Production drive only.

What really has me stumped is that the only real difference in the 2 upgrades
is the timing. Though the drives are not truly identicle, they were very
close and the software installations were very nearly identicle...especially
the X-display systems and the Apache2 installations.

Anyone with advice or ideas please reply.

--
John W. Foster