Re: Etch is REALLY fast! :-)

On 2/16/07, Hans du Plooy <koffiejunkielistlurker@koffiejunkie.za.net> wrote:
ACPI is still a thorn in my side too.  I've seen way too many notebooks
on which fans simply don't switch on and off reliably, and suspend works
but resume doesn't - surely there must be a generic way to handle these
things?

I'm not sure if you're aware of this but many systems have broken ACPI
description tables. It's actually possible to download fixed ones from
the net and load them in your kernel instead of using the one it reads
from hardware. That solved a lot of issues for me (though
unfortunately not all of them).

Basically many notebook manufacturers are selling laptops with broken
hardware and the kernel is playing catch-up. I think this is the
reason many of them also modify windows xp so heavily, they just put
crap in on the hardware side and then have the software guys fix it up
till it sorta works. It's one of the main reasons why I'm _not_
impressed with the quality of my acer notebook. I did manage to make
it go to sleep and come back up with fixed ACPI tables now though.

If you'd like to know more, read this:
http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/index.php

greets,
Wim