Re: multicore gizmos

On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 12:16:58AM +0100, pinniped wrote:

> 'Multicore' processors are pretty new - older machines have always had an
> enormous number of processors. 80 cores on a single chip would take up most
> of the silicon wafer. (and will probably have a few defective cores and
> rather interesting cooling problems)

Are you sure?  When I took a semiconductors class (about four or five
years ago), the professor was talking about how the state of the art in
fabrication was being able to pull 18 inch-diameter silicon slugs.  I
would imagine that things have improved.  Not just that, but we are now
seeing the bug manufacturers getting to 45 nm feature sizes.  You can
fit *lots* of stuff on a wafer that big at 45 nm.  But, I don't think 80
cores would take all or even a large part of a wafer.

Granted, the cooling issues would be interesting.

> for Question #2:
> Microsoft will seriously struggle - there are numerous defects in the
> system and we always have a good laugh when Microsoft talk about
> reliability, 'high performance', and 'scalability'.  WinDos cannot even
> handle time properly; in contrast, UNIX was handling time even before DOS
> was out on the market (allowing every user to have their own time zone - in
> fact any program running can have its own time zone).

This won't stop that marketriods from convincing lots people that
windows is actually able to handle that many cores.  I always chuckle
when I see a mention of Windows Server Cluster Edition and think of the
poor saps who get stuck administering that.

> Apple's OSX is based on BSD, which will currently run on at least '8-way'
> machines.  I don't keep in touch with BSD developments so I don't know what
> their current limit is.

Mac OS X uses the Mach-based XNU kernel.  The BSD parts that are used
are the userland.

> Of course more cores doesn't mean a faster machine unless you do things in
> parallel. It may be great for servers which do a lot of actual processing
> and in astronomy for 'multibody' calculations (and in physics for 'Monte
> Carlo' simulations of light scattering) but for most purposes it will just
> keep the room that little bit warmer.

Don't forget CFD!

Regards,

-Roberto