Re: Woody on 486 problem

Ron Johnson wrote:

> --

Feather Linux (with gui) ran satisfactory on this machine, slackware 11 is
running more than satisfactory (bare.i kernel - tui) and woody or potato
in my opinion must "fly" with tui.

Small linux distributions are offering simple installation with nice set
of applications for old machines but you need some mumbo-jumbo to setup
all hw and to install some specific apps (e.g. for networking), mostly
beacause packaging systems are broken or adjusted fot that distro.

Even latest Slackware proves itself to be best for such old box - it has
decent set of prepared packages but only matter that is bothering me is
need to enter network kernel parameters every time lilo starts. Since I
lost to much time to resolve this its evidently that I need to compile
kernel with ewrk3 included.

Its strange that older debian distributions are failing to properly
install on this particular machine since I remember running debian on
equally weak hw.

Aside from OS/2 and Win95, more then few years ago I had 486dx2 /16MB /
80MB server which was running sco server and some old version of first
ingres and after that oracle. I still have that 3.5" disks somewhere.

"More than 3,500 existing applications run on SCO's System V/386. Running
V/386, however, entails a substantial hardware investment. A minimal
configuration includes a box with 3/486 processor, 2Mb RAM (8Mb preferred)
and a fast, mostly empty, 40Mb hard disk."

And all I need is just simple network client without gui or any services:)

--
Mirko Scurk