Re: backup/restore

Casey T. Deccio wrote:
I'm looking for a solution to temporarily backup then restore a Debian
install--preserving the filesystem contents and attributes.  The caveat
is that the capacity of the drive I'll be restoring to is smaller (all
other hardare is unchanged). [...]
Partimage has the option to split into more than one file so that you can burn the image to CD/DVD. It can also backup/restore from/to a remote machine. It has dropped out of some Debian repositories for the moment, so you may need to build it yourself or use the live CD (http://www.partimage.org/).

--
Chris.