Re: Weird Screen-Saver/kscreensaver problem

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 17:27:20 +0100, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
> Hi
>

> Distro: SID (Installed years ago, regularly updated)
> Desktop: KDE
>
> When i leave my home and/or work computer i lock the screen with
> CTRL+ALT+L. I use the "lines" screen-saver set up via kcontrol.
>
> The problem ist: After i log in to my computer again and don't do
> anything for 70 seconds i get a black/white/grey patterned background
> with a randomly size mostly big "X"-letter (that just looks like the
> X.Org X).
>
> The happens exactly after 70 seconds @home and after a much longer time
> of at least 5-10 minutes @work. (I haven't clocked that)
>
> To make things even more strange. When i go into kcontrol and just
> Re-Apply the screensaver (Klicking on the entry, pressing cursor down
> then cursor up and Apply) the effect doesn't happen again until after i
> locked the screen again.
>
> That effect is independent of the chosen screensaver.
> I have this effect for about a year now.
> The effect is also independent of graphic-card/driver.
> @home i have a Nvidia Geforce 7600GT with propertiary driver.
> @work i have a ATI x800 with the radeon driver
> But computers are dual-headed.
>
> Any ideas what might be my problem?

I would try to lock the screen from a [kc]onsole and hope for
informative error messages if you do this repeatedly. You can run

/usr/bin/kdesktop_lock --blank --forcelock

to lock the screen with the "blank screen" screensaver.

Somebody else on this list had a problem with kscreensaver and locking
recently and it turned out that a diversion of kdesktop_lock by a buggy
version of kdebluetooth was causing this. You can run

dpkg-divert --list \*kdesktop\*

to check for such diversions.

--
Regards,