OT: LaTeX with monospace material

(Off-Topic because this is really a LaTeX question rather than a Debian
question.)

I've been using OpenOffice.org to produce paper copies of songs written
for guitar, but with all the talk about LaTeX on this list lately, I got
to wondering if it might be a better product.

The material looks like standard guitar tabs you'd find on the web, like
this, from http://www.guitaretab.com/a/adam-sandler/211.html:

ADAM SANDLER
THE WEDDING SINGER VOL.2
GROW OLD WITH YOU
Transcribed by BEB 910 (beb_910@yahoo.com)

Verse 1
I wanna make you smile
Bm
Whenever you're sad
C#m
Carry you around
When your arthritis is bad
A                  E
All I wanna do is
     D         A     E
Grow old with you.

Verse 2
I'll get you medicine
Bm
When your tummy aches
C#m
Build you a fire
When the furnace breaks
A                    E
It could be so nice
        D         A    A7
Growing old with you.

Chorus
I'll miss you

I'll kiss you
Give you my coat when you are cold
Need you

Feed you
E(hold)           E      D
Even let you hold the remote control

Verse 3
Let me do the dishes
Bm
In our kitchen sink
C#m
Put you to bed
When you've had too much to drink
A                       E
I could be the man who
       D        A
Grows old with you
   E          D        A
I wanna grow old with you

What I'm concerned about is the chord names (A, D, etc) need to line up
with the word where the chords change, which means exact placement will
be necessary. I currently do this in OO.o with a monospace font and
manually spacing over to where the chord name goes.

The songs will be one (or maybe two or three short ones) to a page, with
a few taking two or three pages. The pages won't be numbered, but I will
want them in alphabetical order by category (mine, Christmas songs,
Country songs, etc), and then a table of contents. This way I can add a
new song/page without having to re-print the entire book of songs; I can
just print the one song and the newly-generated table of contents, and
then replace the current TOC in my book with the new one and put the new
song/page into the proper place alphabetically into the book.

My basic question is this: Is LaTeX suitable for this sort of document?

And my second question: Is the learning curve going to be worth it, or
should I just stick to OO.o which pretty much does the job already?

Thanks!

--
Kent West
Westing Peacefully <http://kentwest.blogspot.com>