Re: OT: LaTeX with monospace material

Kent West:

> What I'm concerned about is the chord names (A, D, etc) need to line up
> with the word where the chords change, which means exact placement will
> be necessary. I currently do this in OO.o with a monospace font and
> manually spacing over to where the chord name goes.

I am sure this works reasonably well, but I gues it is a little bit
ugly. You can sureley do exactly the same thing with LaTeX, but if you
do it doesn't gain you very much.

As an alternative, there are some LaTeX styles directly related to your
problem and their example output looks quite good:
http://www.rath.ca/Misc/Songbook/index.shtml

> The songs will be one (or maybe two or three short ones) to a page, with
> a few taking two or three pages. The pages won't be numbered, but I will
> want them in alphabetical order by category (mine, Christmas songs,
> Country songs, etc), and then a table of contents. This way I can add a
> new song/page without having to re-print the entire book of songs; I can
> just print the one song and the newly-generated table of contents, and
> then replace the current TOC in my book with the new one and put the new
> song/page into the proper place alphabetically into the book.

I do not think LaTeX can help you with the task of automatically sorting
the songs for you, but you are not forced to use page numbers and TOC
generation is really easy.

> And my second question: Is the learning curve going to be worth it, or
> should I just stick to OO.o which pretty much does the job already?

As I have never used LaTeX for this task, I cancot comment on whether
it's worth learning LaTeX only for this task. However, after learning it
by doing a beamer presentation and then doing my diploma thesis with it,
I found it very useful for other tasks (resume writing, DIN-compliant
letters) as well. The learning curve is not that steep, at least if you
are a little bit familiar with other markup or programming languages.

So the benefits of learning LaTeX, as I see it, is that is a useful tool
for a lot of tasks and that it generally produces (sometimes awesomely)
beautiful output.

J.
--
Watching television is more hip than actually speaking to anyone.
[Agree]   [Disagree]