Re: Very disturbing feature in icedove

Daniel D Jones wrote:

> messages.  Compact.  That's what the operation was called, and that's what
> the drop down menu said.  That was in the early '90s, over 20 years ago.

I presume you meant "early '80s"?

"You learn something new every day" the saying goes.

I hadn't realised about the function of the "Compact" option 'til I read this thread.  Might (partially) explain why my
windozZe laptop goes into meltdown when I open Tbird - AV software grabs 100% CPU as it scans the mail (presumably
because the 'Inbox' file still has the contents of messages marked as deleted?) and the system's pretty well unusable.
I'll go through the folders compacting when I get the chance.

As the laptop's a multi-boot system (soon to have a Suse variant replaced by Etch) I'll simply switch to using
Tbird/IceDove for mail.  Eventually I expect to switch to using a VMware (or virtualbox) virtual machine for winXP and
just have the laptop boot to Linux by default (which is what I do on my PC at work)!

--
Paul Walsh