Re: ATI Proprietary driver fglrx problem with Radeon 9200SE

][ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've always use the fglrx-driver package for my ATI Radeon 9200SE card.
> But it never occurs to me that the driver is not working properly.
>
> According to "How do I know fglrx is installed correctly?"
> http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#
> How_do_I_know_fglrx_is_installed_correctly.3F
>

> I failed 4 of the 4 tests, which means I'm not using the fglrx
> driver at all, but everything seems to be working -- my console and X,
> even my dual-head configuration.
>
> I'm wondering what driver I'm using, How can I make the fglrx
> driver works
> and how can I enable my DRI.
>
> Any helpful information would be appreciated.
>
> thanks

 <snip>
> I'm using the ATI Proprietary Linux driver fglrx-driver v8.28.8-4 under
> Debian Testing, xorg 7.1.0-8.

Dear whoever,
I'm running ATI Radeon 9550 on Debian Etch with a 2.6.18-3-686 kernel.
According to 3 out of 4 tests on the link you provided, fglrx is installed
properly. The 4th test involves glxinfo which I don't have so I can't use
that test. There are howto's out there if you google for them but here's
how I did it.
1. Remove any old fglrx related packages.
2. Remove the /usr/src/modules/fglrx folder (apparently this is not done
automatically)
3. Grab the ATI propietary drivers on their site. Be careful because some
versions give errors when you try to build debian packages from them. I
used version 8.32.5-1 and it works.
4. Run the ati-driver-installer with the --buildpkg switch on,
e.g. --buildpkg Debian/etch [as mentioned above with some versions this
throws up errors. Try the version I suggested above.]
5. Install the fglrx-driver and the fglrx-kernel-src packages.
6. Run module-assistant to build and install the module.
7. modprobe -v flgrx
And that should do it.
Good luck whatever your name is.