Re: Apache2 and PHP5

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 18:46 -0500, Daniel D Jones wrote:
> Running Debian unstable.  I got up this morning any my server had crashed.
> Haven't figured out why yet but that's another issue.  Upon rebooting,
> Apache2 failed to start with the following error:
>
> Syntax error on line 115 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf: Syntax error on line 1
> of /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/php5.load: API module structure `php5_module' in
> file /usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp5.so is garbled - perhaps this is not an
> Apache module DSO?
>

> I found a LOT of hits with a Google search.  Evidently, the issue has to do
> with the version of Apache that PHP is compiled for.  I found bug reports
> that have been filed and closed.  I found arguments and recommendations on
> what args to use when compiling PHP5.  I found all sorts of questions and
> lots of information but not a lot of hard answers other than "recompile for
> the correct version of PHP."
>
> I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling PHP5, libapache2-mod-php5, etc.  I've
> tried reinstalling Apache2.  The only way I can get Apache to start is to
> take out the link to php5 in /mods-enabled.  Doing that, of course, breaks
> any PHP scripts but at least the rest of my website loads.
>
> I installed Wordpress last week and had no issue restarting Apache, so it
> appears that the current issue has been (re?)introduced by a recent update.
> Is anyone else seeing this issue?  Is there a known combination of Apache2
> and PHP5 packages that work together?  Is there a way to fix this without
> downloading the PHP5 source and mucking about with compiler options?
>
> Any help or pointers greatly appreciated.

what pops into my head is did you purge the old configuration files?
Perhaps you modified the file? try apt-get remove --purge php5 apache2
libapache-mod-php5 then install them again.

That may do something for you. If not, try apt-pinning to an older set
of packages (stable always work).

--
Matthew K Poer