Re: X doesn't start [Was: KDE peculiarities and questions]

Kent West wrote:

> I suspect your /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config file is set to allow root only.
> or better yet, do as the file says and run "dpkg-reconfigure x11-common"
> and change the setting that way.

	I ran dpkg-reconfigure x11-common.  When the option to set allowed
users appeared, the option Console Users Only was highlighted; so I
assume that x11-common was already configured to that option.  In any
event I hit Ok.  Nice was set to 0; I changed it as you suggested, to -10.

	I then shut the machine off and did a cold boot.  No change; problem
persists.

	With respect to my other desktop's not being able to connect to the
network, I am starting another thread called "My Sarge box no longer
connects to the network".

	You will recall however that the sudden inability to run
the xserver occurred on my Sarge desktop the same day (Feb 7) as it
occurred on my laptop.  So I will keep on this thread that particular
problem for both computers.  (For the time being I am using a third
desktop on which after that date I installed Etch RC1 as the only
operating system thereon.)

	Sarge of course does not have X-common; so I ran dpkg-reconfigure
xfree86, which returned:

System startup links for /etc/init.d/xfree86-common already exist.
Setting up X server socket directory /tmp/.X11-unix...done.
Setting up ICE socket directory /tmp/.ICE-unix...done.

	I am not sure whether that information is of any help.

				Regards,

				Ken Heard