Re: Using graphical environment

On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 09:49:06PM -0600, Kelly wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having trouble getting a new install of Debian 3.1 r4 and it boots
> to the command line prompt.  I want it to have a graphical interface.
> As is it is useless to me.  Could someone point me in a direction of a
> tutorial on how to install with GUI or how to get a new install to boot
> to GUI.

Hi,
Quick 'n' dirty way -- your machine has lots of memory + big HD

1). Login as root
2). type 'tasksel' (without the quotes)
3). Choose desktop task. (press space bar)
4). Press tab till <ok> is selected then press the return/enter key

If you get error messages then your /etc/apt/sources.lst probably needs
altering.

Better way.

1). Login as root
2). Upgrade to Debian 4.0 (codenamed Etch) (Debian 3.1 codenamed Sarge)
3). Install select packages to give a lean mean machine.

Please post error messages and what you were trying todo.
Don't panic. Read the Installation Manual. Ask more questions here.
Read: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

--
Chris.
======