Re: Installing Etch with GUI on T20: "no screens" in X

Cameron L. Spitzer wrote:-
[This message has also been posted to linux.debian.user.]

In article <7NPYo-82F-33@gated-at.bofh.it>, john gennard wrote:

I have an IBM T20 Laptop and want to put on it Etch
(Kernel 2.6.18-3) with Kde. The installation without GUI
is fine, but Kde will not launch. Error messages in
/var/log/kdm.log indicate that the installer assumed the
laptop has a Synaptics Touchpad and this cannot be detected.
/proc/bus/input/devices show that the device is in fact a
'TPPS/2 IBM Trackpoint' Googlings for the Trackpoint show a
confusing picture which I don't understand.

However, as I have considerable arthritis in the hands and
fingers, I have been using an external PS/2 mouse, so I can
do without the 'fiddly' Trackpoint. I commented out references
to Synaptics Touchpad in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but Kde still
does not launch and the error messages )in Kdm.log) now say:-
------------
(EE) No devices detected
Fatal Server error:
no screens found.
------------

At the moment, to get into Etch, I have to boot into single
user mode, otherwise the Laptop locks solid.

I had a similar problem.  It turned out my system
was missing packages "hal" and "udev".
X.org wants to use keyboard and mouse via
hardware abstraction layer, but the dependency
was missing.

Cameron

Both 'hal' and 'udev' packages are fully installed.

John