Re: StartX problem

conn intel wrote:
USING $ startx $(which xterm) -- :6 , I am getting the blank screen as said and using ctrl alt backspace i am able to return back to the command prompt.
Here is the output of 'lspci' attached with the email.
Note :: I am getting vertical strips when default system boots or when i try to start graphical interface...in any case it shows vertical strips.but it wont go ahead of that and stucks there itself without prompting for login screen. 5)Are you getting any error messages that are not part of the log files you've included? No.. I am not getting any error message.

Check /var/log/xorg.0.log (or /var/log/XFree86.0.log) and look for lines with EE or WW. They may be clues. Also, somewhere in that file should be a notice as to which configuration file it's using. Make sure that file is the same one you're tinkering with.

6)Have you tried the "vga" driver in XF86Config-4 instead of "vesa", or have you tried dropping the DefaultDepth from 24 to 16?
 I have tried all the way.

I'm unsure what "all the way" means. I'd try even dropping down to 8. I would also try the i810 driver. Also, since this is an integrated driver, that means it's using system RAM; there may be an option in the BIOS to up the available video memory; look into that. (Dell had a series of computers four or five years ago in which a certain BIOS (A03 maybe?) was buggy and didn't correctly report the 8 MB assigned in the BIOS to the OS; a firmware update solved that for me.)

PC Configuration ::
Pentium III processor with 128 MB ram, 80GB hardisk, Samtron '56V' monitor, logitech (serial) mouse, TVS Gold Keyboard,LG CDROM. OUTPUT :: LSPCI command 0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82810E DC-133 GMCH [Graphics Memory Controller Hub] (rev 03) 0000:00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82810E DC-133 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller] (rev 03)

<snip>

--
Kent West
http://kentwest.blogspot.com <http://kentwest.blogspot.com/>