Re: [Debian-User] re: Network Install

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:55:44 -0700
Admin <thilts33@telus.net> wrote:

[snip]

The Debian archive is huge and it is not trivial to set-up. There is a
method to use CD images as a pseudo-mirror, though I don't think this
is the best way for you (see below). Check this:

http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/index.en.html#lan-install

You should read the whole FAQ as it answers most of your questions.

> Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Could I simply do an FTP of
> some Debian mirror?  What I don't like about this FTP idea or the
> installer as far as that goes is that many of the applications I want
> are not available except from their development sites.  Examples are
> TCL, Python, Lisp, and many others;  It lookis like I would have to
> (separate from the installer and separate from the FTP ) gather these
> binaries and sources one at a time site by site.  Or have I got
> something very wrong???

I think so. If the mirror setup during the installation went good you
should have access to the full Debian archive which has more then 15.000
packages, including TCL, Python, ...

> Also, what complicates my effort is that I have a very low band
> witdth to the Internet having to use a dial up connection from a
> rural area up here in Alberta Canada..  For example, it took me a
> week to download the "network installer".

Non-stop? IMHO with a very low bandwidth connection your best bet is
still the netinstall with *very* carefull package selection, but this
is difficult to do properly if you don't have experience with Debian
or Linux. If you don't find a reasonable way to download at least the
first two CDs (or the first DVD) you should order the full CD set from
some vendor.

http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/

HTH,
Andrei