Re: [Debian-User] re: Network Install

* Admin <thilts33@telus.net> [070211 16:00]:
> I download a 128MB network installer iso so that I could use it to
> In other words, I need a Debian system up and running (which I don't
> have at the present time) and even then the packaged binaries and
> sources will be unpacked and placed into the system. What I was after
> was a kind of mirror located where ever I wanted on my LAN and I could
> install all or some of them.. I take it that the network installer puts
> together a basic system and then proceeds to install other packages as
> directed by some kind of menu.  This is fine, if that is how it happens,
> but I want my own updateable archive from which this "network
> installer" can feed .
> Also, what complicates my effort is that I have a very low band witdth
> to the Internet having to use a dial up connection from a rural area up
> here in Alberta Canada..  For example, it took me a week to download the
> "network installer".

You have several problems; don't try to solve all of them at once.
First, get a basic Debian, via (1) the network installer or (2) jigdo
ISO or (3) mail-order CD.  Second, install a basic Debian system.
Third, augment the basic system with Debian and non-Debian
applications.

Regarding the network installer: The network installer allows you to
install a basic Debian system over the Internet.  Once the basic
system is installed and running, you can install additional packages
from CD or over the Internet.  Note that the network installer is
included on the first CD of any Debian set.

Regarding limited bandwidth: There are multiple commercial sources
from which you may mail-order individual CDs or even the complete set
of Debian "testing" or "unstable", at a cost of a dollar or two (US)
per CD, and with very rapid delivery; see www.debian.org.  Otherwise,
you could run jigdo overnight each night until you have a complete ISO
image of the first Debian CD.

Regarding a local repository: For the technique, search the archives
of this mail list, or search with Google.  There are several ways of
keeping a local repository up-to-date, including jigdo -- the "jigsaw"
downloader, which, with its ability to resume an interrupted download,
is particularly well-suited for low-bandwidth users.  Jigdo is
available for a variety of operating systems, including Window$.

Regarding binaries: The Debian archive typically includes both source
and binary for each package, but the network installer assumes that
you can do without the source until the base system is running.

RLH