Re: Introduction

On 10 Feb 2007, Michael Pobega wrote:

[snip]

> For laptops Ubuntu is a good point to start new users on, yes, because
> it takes way less time to configure and get running than Debian.
> Eventually when your friend learns how to work with Linux, he/she should
> switch over to Debian for ease of use (But definitely not ease of
> setting up).

[snip]

I'm no sort of Debian expert, but I have been using (Sid) for several
years now. When I got my new Thinkpad ZM61M Debian Etch would not detect
my wireless or sound. I spent two days trying to get sound to work, with
plenty of advice here and elsewhere, but no luck. I then tried Ubuntu
and both wireless and sound worked instantly.

Although I would prefer to use native Debian, it seems silly to knock my
head against a brick wall. And once I had replaced metacity with icewm
and synaptic with wajig I was pretty much back to a Debian look. One or
two packages I didn't find on Ubuntu I imported from Debian and
installed them. I have to say my impression of Ubuntu has improved a lot
as a result of direct experience.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian