Re: Introduction

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 06:12 +0100, Joe Hart wrote:

> The fact that we have an opportunity to discuss the differences in our
> desktop environments is a good thing, because in the Windows world I had
> no choice.  Now there's at least six, probably a more and I haven't
> heard of them.  One that I really like is XFCE.  Version 4.4 is quite
> impressive.  I read EL17 is also quite good.
>
> Regards,
>
> Joe

Actually there are quite a few alternative shells available for Windows
(at least for XP and prior, I've no idea how they'll run on Vista).  I
used a number of them back in Windows days -- in fact, I used Blackbox
on Windows before I ever tried it on any Linux distro.  Overall there
aren't as many alternatives available as there are DE's and WM's for
most Linux distros, but also keep in mind that many distros limit the
number of options that are easily installable.  Personally, I dislike
distros that are KDE- or Gnome-centric, but many are.

Did you install XFCE 4.4 from source?  Because it's not available in
Etch repositories, and won't ever be since Etch is frozen.  Same goes
for EL17.

Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions
of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to
dream." --S. Jackson