Re: 32bit programs on amd64?

Stefan Monnier wrote:
I am trying to figure out the easiest way to install a firefox version that
would work with java and flash inside my amd64 etch. Actually flash isn't
that important, but java is.

Why can't you use a native 64bit Java?
From sun's website at http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/install/jre/install-linux-64.html
I find the following:

"Installation Instructions
This procedure installs the Java SE Runtime Environment, but not the Java Plugin or Java Web Start (which are not yet available for 64-bit Linux). The Java SE Runtime Environment for Linux 64-bit comes bundled in two install formats, whose filenames are given here:

* Self-extracting binary:
jre-1_6_0_<version>-linux-amd64.bin

* RPM File:
jre-1_6_0_<version>-linux-amd64-rpm.bin

To install, download these files and otherwise follow the 32-bit Linux installation."

So, understand sun does not provide 64bit java applet for linux yet.

apt's repos provide java-gcj-compat-plugin which does provide a java applet, but my bank doesn't like it. I try to enter my passwd and it says 'passwd field empty'.