java

Java runs on 64-bit machines.  I think Debian has a package for it now, but I still get mine directly from the Blackdown website.

'chroot' cannot be avoided when you want to mix 32 and 64 bit libraries. Furthermore the kernel needs to be compiled with 32/64 support or else the 32-bit system calls will fail.  Most of the authoritative documents on 'multiplatform' root layout are on the Debian site.  No shortcuts - you just have to read through the documentation carefully to see the proposed naming of directories and how to handle 'mixed' systems.