Re: Introduction

Jeff wrote

those who have some experience with Linux will most likely feel that CNR is not the way to go.

Joe, AFAIK CNR will be made available as an *option* on Ubuntu, but that apt will continue to be the primary software delivery vehicle. So, if CNR is "not the way to go" for someone, they can just ignore it. Is that not your understanding?

You're probably right. If you all are interested, I can copy my farewell from the Kubuntu Mailing List here. In it, I listed most of the problems that I have with the distribution.

My goal however is not to bash Ubuntu or Linspire, or any other distro for that matter. I chose Debian because it seems to suit me. Other people choose others because it suits them. At least with GNU/Linux we get the opportunity to choose.

So far I have run into no problems at all. I am really surprised how similar everything is. It makes me wonder what exactly they do that deserves all the credit. I mean really, the install was simple. The GUI installer is even simpler, but I was already used to the Sarge installer because that's the first one I ever saw (with Ubuntu Breezy). The only reason I started with Ubuntu is because I was at a computer show and a guy handed me a CD and said try it.

Now that I understand a lot more about GNU/Linux and some of the differences between the major distributions. I still have A LOT to learn, but how to install the system is not one of them. I have tried quite a few and have quite a few CD-Rs and DVD-Rs that are now collecting dust (I didn't realize that I could run an ISO as a VM until a few months ago).

Now, everyone of my friends keeps hearing from me how great Linux is and how their virus ridden OS is holding their productivity back. I've managed to convert a couple. When I told one that I was switching to Etch she said, "It's about time. I told you so a long time ago."

Joe