Re: Kernel panic on PCI video card with 2.6.x on Dell Dimension 2300

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 05:28:39PM -0500, greenproc wrote:
> Tarek Soliman wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am trying to install debian with a 2.6 kernel on a Dell 2300
> > The kernel panics after saying "pci" in a detection phase (I'm guessing
> > discover)
> > Does this panic get saved to a log?
>
> Try disabling the on-board graphics for the install.

There is no option for doing so in the BIOS

> If that doesn't work, complete the install
> using only the on-board graphics, and then add the PCI card and tweak after the
> install has completed

I have done this and even dist-upgraded to etch. Every time I put the
PCI card back, it becomes the source of monitor output during boot but
then the booting fails. I am looking for a way to figure out at which
part the booting fails but I don't know where kernel panic logs get
stored (if at all).

--
Tarek