Kernel panic on PCI video card with 2.6.x on Dell Dimension 2300

Hi all,

I am trying to install debian with a 2.6 kernel on a Dell 2300
The kernel panics after saying "pci" in a detection phase (I'm guessing
discover)
Does this panic get saved to a log?

This first happened after the first boot on a net install.
It is a machine that has a PCI-only motherboard with onboard video and
sound
I put an nvidia geforce4 PCI in it so I can get TV out as part of making
mythTV frontend.

It won't even completely boot in knoppix and hangs during startup
When I take out the PCI card it works fine and boots fine and even
installs
fine.
When I try the netinstall with the default 2.4 kernel it works fine
also.
Switching to the combination of 2.6.8 (I even tried 2.6.18 from
testing/etch)
and the PCI card, it panics during boot every time.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Tarek