Re: [ltp] News Flash

> From: Baz <bazciscor@gmail.com>
> One day in gym class Baz wrote:
> How is it off-topic?  To you perhaps - get down off your high-horse.

I have to agree with Jon on this one, the news post was off topic we have
RSS feeds for instant news if we want it. That might even considered as
spam, as lots of spam have titles like that. Besides last I checked Apple
had more in common with FreeBSD then with Linux. Even if some Debian
users care about Jobs, and DRM this really isn't the proper group. You
might find other groups, or mailing lists more on topic.

I mean if you really think about it I could talk about my dog because it
is important to me as a Debian user. But that really doesn't mean its a
good subject to bring up on a list such as this.  If news is important
you might want to consider IRC, that way you can get instant
gratification, and don't have to wait for replys. Heck freenode even has
a bunch of mac channels. I am sure they would be a more amenable then a
bunch of diehard Linux fans.

I would also suggest refraining from flametory remarks, as this will most
likely bring a bunch of posts about the posting rules, top posting,
followed by proper mua's etc ...

As far as the notebook is concerned a person is probably not going to get
a lot of good info from this list, especially when other lists are
availabe. In fact I would almost consider this list as a last resort, and
it would be counter productive as you would have lots of people go over
the basics which might not be very useful if your looking for a good
answer.

I usually use a basic three step approach about finding a solution to a
notebook problem, or problem in general. Since I am usually not a very
patient person I can't be bothered to wait for a response from the list.

1. I define the problem from an error message, or narrow it down as much
as possible to a package or device.

2. I then search Google, for my problem error, usually this will pop up a
bunch of stuff, then I search Google groups if need be. If I can't find
it there I search Debian.org with Google using site search, then if I
still haven't found it I would site search my notebooks manufacture site
using google site search. If I still haven't found a solution I usually
pop on IRC, ask in the proper channel, as I said I am not a patient
person.

3. If all else fails I post to the proper group, which most likely will
show up in #2, and wait for a proper response. If that fails I post to
Debian User, and Rant about how worthless Debian is until I get a
response. I then install Ubuntu, and tell everyone how good it is until I
have the exact same problem, and use the ubuntu forums instead.

I usually find my solution at the beginning of #2, if it's a bug I then
file a bug report.  Also the end of part #3 was somewhat of a joke, I
seem to see this more and more through! Seriously I am an impatient
person and I usually find 95% of my solutions before I have to post. The
other 5% I usually end up going to specific mailing lists, as my problems
seem to be indepth and corner cases, I usually get a better response from
them.

Now I understand that a lot of people like hand holding, and want a
confirmation after each little baby step, but as everyone knows a mailing
list really isn't the place for hand holding. Heck you hand might fall
off just waiting for a touch.

Gnu_Raiz