Re: Debian shutdown

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 09:18:15AM +0100, gunnar wrote:
> I've carried out a network-installation of
> debian-31r4-i386-netinst.iso and my problem is that I cannot shut it
> down. The only way of shutting it down seems to be to press the
> Reset-button, choose my Windows-partition in GRUB and carry out the
> shutdown from Windows. Thank God for my Windows-partition, without
> it I would have to pull the plug to shut down Debian. Can anybody
> tell me a better way of shutting down Debian?
> Gunnar Sjöö

There are more than one ways to to a shutdown (halt) on a linux
system. The easiest way which works everywhere (wheter in graphical
mode resprectively X or in plan text conosle mode) is to get root
privileges by typing su and supplying the root password and then enter
halt:

$ su
<enter root password>
# halt
The System is going down for halt now!

Another way, provided your machine is ACPI compliant, is to install
the package 'acpid'. It contains a script /etc/acpi/powerbtn.sh and a
symbolic link to that (/etc/acpi/events/powerbutton). With that you can
just hit the power button of your machine and your system will
gracefully do a shutdown to halt and then power off.

Regards
--
Marcus Blumhagen

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more
violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move
in the opposite direction."
                                                      -- Albert Einstein