Re: Debian shutdown

gunnar wrote:
I've carried out a network-installation of debian-31r4-i386-netinst.iso and my problem is that I cannot shut it down. The only way of shutting it down seems to be to press the Reset-button, choose my Windows-partition in GRUB and carry out the shutdown from Windows. Thank God for my Windows-partition, without it I would have to pull the plug to shut down Debian. Can anybody tell me a better way of shutting down Debian? Gunnar Sjöö

I've had a couple of machines that wouldn't shut down correctly but they were very old and had problems with their power management. Generally they would panic right at the end of the shut down process.

Anyway, if a machine is really not responsive (which happens once in a while) you can try:

Alt+SysReq+S = Sync Disks
Alt+SysReq+U = Unmount Disks

Alt+SysReq+B = Reboot
or
Alt+SysReq+H = Halt (I think)

This will minimize the chance of data loss but isn't a long term solution.

Graham