Re: News Flash

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 08:27:13 -0800, Baz wrote:
> On 2/7/07, Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> >It seems to me that Steve Jobs likes DRM very much, as long as it makes
> >it difficult for competitors to interoperate smoothly with iTunes and/or
> >the iPod. (I know that the end user has relatively easy ways around
> >these restrictions, but this is still not as convenient as using the
> >100% Apple solution.)

[...]

> "I know that the end user has relatively easy ways around
> these restrictions"
>
> Care to expand on this?  I posted an inquiry on this new list back in
> December regarding work-arounds for iTune/iPod-dependent music.  The word,
> "easy" was nowhere in the realm of that discussion.  Please enlighten me.

I do not remember anything about the discussion in December, so we may
be talking about different things entirely. Furthermore, I probably
should have said "relatively easy ways around _some of_ these
restrictions". What I meant was that users on Windows and OSX can burn
playlists to a CDRW and thus obtain their iTunes songs in a DRM-free
format with the same audio quality. I believe there are also programs
available to remove the DRM directly. I did not, for example, mean that
it is easy for a Linux user to access iTunes (which might be closer to
what you are after).

The only reason for making the statement that you quoted was to avoid
being side-tracked into a discussion about whether the Apple-DRM is
acceptable because it is "relatively mild".

--
Regards,
          Florian