Re: problem with udev, etch, custom 2.6.20 kernel, and ide devices

On Wednesday 07 February 2007 15:28, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 03:20:55PM -0500, Prismatic Plasma wrote:
> > I started with a net installed etch rc1 for amd64. I have ASUS M2N-MX
> > mobo with SATA harddrive and IDE dvd writer. Install went okay, but no
> > sound. Made a custom 2.6.20 kernel. Now I have sound but no cdrom! The
> > trouble shows up in udev, but I'm not sure if that's the root of the
> > problem.
>
> Have you installed all the alsa- packages and run alsaconf?  Do you mean
> that you did this with the stock 2.6.18 kernel?

Yes, first with the stock kernel, then repeated it when I installed the custom
kernel.

> Since the RC1 install, have you aptitude update and upgrade?
Yes. When that didn't help, I tried
dpkg-reconfigure all
which didn't help.

I still have an entry for the stock kernel in grub. When I boot with it, the
cd operates correctly. I can mount a data cd and play an audio cd. There's no
sound, though. It takes a long time to boot too; sits for a long time
detecting harddrive.

When I boot with the custom kernel, I get sound and a fast boot up, but also
the odd stuff happening in udev.