Re: documentation for novice and newbies

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 03:00:05PM +0000, Chris Lale wrote:
> Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> >If we were to have a page clearly labled as GPL, would you be able to
> >spit out an html of a wiki page any beter than we could pull off with a
> >browser?
>
> I'm not quite sure what you mean. The wiki page is already HTML - the
> source code is the wikitext. If you use DocBook, the web page is HTML
> and the source code is the SGML/XML.

> They are just web pages. You can view them in a browser, print them,
> download them with wget, etc. Note that if you do the latter two, a
> different CSS is involved so you see only the plain article and none of
> the website stuff. Thoughtful design by Mediawiki eh?

Chris,

What I mean is that if we create a main wiki page with a separate wiki
page for each major portion of the project instead of one HUGE wiki
page, I can't get wget to follow links in the wiki page to grab those
other pages.

Take an example:

	MainPage(TOC)
		Chapter1-page
		Chapter2-page
		.
		.

I can use wget or a browser on the TOC, Chapter1-page, and Chapter2-page,
but I end up with three separate html pages not really linked (in fact,
the links in the TOC still point to the wiki not the files I download
with wget.

At your end, could you create an html.gz of all three with functioning
internal links? It would be great if this was automated and there was a
button that someone could click to download a snapshot at any time.

Doug.