Re: iptables usage

Michael Pobega wrote:
Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 10:01:23PM -0500, Michael Pobega wrote:
I've been trying to get iptables working so that I can finally have a
worthwhile client-side non-graphical firewall. So to test it out, I
typed these two commands:

/# iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
# iptables -A INPUT -j REJECT

/And for some reason I completely lost my connection to port 80, even
Why not just use shorewall?  Its non-graphical.  Its set up with simple
config files.  The documentation is fantastic.

Doug.

I'll look into Shorewall if it comes down to it, but I've been reading
documentation on using iptables for two or so days now and decided to
try it tonight only to find out it doesn't work for me at all. So I'm
hoping to not have to start from scratch and learn another firewall
config, even though iptables isn't embedded into my brain (Yet...) it'd
just be a lot simpler to stick with what I've been reading up on.

Plus, iptables is in the kernel, which means it's not an excess app;
That gives it extra awesomeness credits right there.

If you are wanting something lightweight, text-based, and quite a bit easier than iptables try fiaif. It's all I've used for quite a while. Basically it's just a bash script that configures iptables, but it is a pretty decent little firewall.