Re: documentation for novice and newbies

hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
[...]
I'm in favour of using an open standard for our definitive file format. The obvious one is docbook, since that is used by other Debian documentation. We should at least confirm to applicable international standards. We'd still need a mechanism (preferably partly automated) to interface between the definitive format and informal formats -- I don't think we can realistically ban submissions or edits in other file formats. The Linux documentation project accepts input in many formats -- we might ask them how they do it.

NewbieDOC used to do it like this:
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/metadoc/docbook-guide.html.en

Licence? it should be as free as possible, to the extent that we have a choice. This probably means multiple licences, unless we want to make it public domain (which allows anyone to hack it for any purpose).

I should avoid public domain like the plague - unless you want to see someone else rip off your hard work with the possibility of selling it on. It might put some people off contributing.

--
Chris.