Re: Booting Debian/testing fails

Chris Bannister wrote:
On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 09:03:34AM -0200, cassiano wrote:

Didn't expect a personal reply. Could you please trim unnecessary parts.

Kantonix, Mepis, Ubuntu, and others *based* on Debian.
Personally, I don't think that Debian is geared towards newbies but more
towards admins and people who seem to know what they are doing. Hence
the formation of Kantonix, Mepis, Ubuntu, and others *based* on Debian.

Unfortunately the distinction is not made clear anywhere.

My first Linux experience was with Debian potato. And I have to say that, although it was not as easy as I had expected, the experience was *very* pleasant. It was so that I am still using Debian, even though curiosity lent me towards trying other distros, always to fall back to Debian when things got chaotic.

That said, installing etch is a breeze and shouldn´t be thought of as being something for admins/hackers/geeks only. And neither using it,
>> since GNOME/KDE are as easy to use on Debian as they are on any other
>> distro. With the advantage of having apt/aptitude/synaptic to your
>> rescue at any time.

True, but I didn't say that.

Sorry for the personal reply. It wasn't my intention to so.I'm taking it back to the list, if you don't mind. For this reason, I have also un-trimmed my previous post.

Just to make things clear: I understand you didn't say that. My intention was only to illustrate that, even though Debian /might/ be geared towards people who know exactly what they're doing, it shouldn't be thought of as being exclusive to those.

Debian Etch is a very easy to install and use operating system, at least for most systems. Of course, there is the need for advanced knowledge in case some of your hardware is not recognised out-of-the-box, but that would be true to any other OS, IMHO.

Cassiano