Re: VMWare on current kernels

Greg Madden wrote:
On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 23:15:00 -0200
Bruno Buys <bruno.grupos@gmail.com> wrote:

Greg Folkert wrote:
On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 20:38 +0100, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 the mental interface of
Jan Schledermann told:

[...]
A significant difference between the pre-compiled 2.6.18-1-686
kernel and the source code, is that the source code by default
creates version 2.6.18 and NOT 2.6.18-1-686. This version
difference could cause the compile problem?
No! Since 2.6.18 we're using include/linux/utsrelease.h instead of
include/linux/version.h. Either the vm-sources have to be patched
or as you suggested use  a selfconfigured (compiled) kernel.
Have you applied the "vmware-any-any-XXX" updates(1)?

I get zero problems running VMware on a stock Debian kernel.

(1) http://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware/vmware-any-any-update107.tar.gz
Greg, the patch worked perfectly here, thanks. vmware is running as I
type. Jan, I am using a stock kernel, no compile here. I installed
the sources to try to
workaround vmware.

After reading this thread I install Vmware on a Sid box. .Here are the steps I used without the any-any patches. I
ran this from a TTY since, I think, failures have occured while doing
this in X with a Konsole.

1. dl the source & unpack > 'l -s linux' in /usr/src/
2. cp -a /boot/config-<kernel-version>  '/usr/src/linux/.config'
3. run 'make oldconfig', takes just a few seconds

Now Vmware is able to find the correct headers to match the running
kernel.

For some reason the headers shipped with the kerenl don't satisfy
Vmware?

I installed VMWare on my laptop with the 2.6.18-4 kernel yesterday. All I did to install it was use alien to create .deb packages from the .rpm packages from VMWare, and install with dpkg. So far I have run into 0 problems and I have two VM's up and running: 1. a minimal Debian installation 2. a Win2K server. We will see if I run into any problems further down the line.