Re: VMWare on current kernels

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 18:10 -0900, Greg Madden wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 23:15:00 -0200
> Bruno Buys <bruno.grupos@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Greg Folkert wrote:

> > > Have you applied the "vmware-any-any-XXX" updates(1)?
> > >
> > > I get zero problems running VMware on a stock Debian kernel.
> > >

> > > (1) http://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware/vmware-any-any-update107.tar.gz
> > >
> > Greg, the patch worked perfectly here, thanks. vmware is running as I
> > type. Jan, I am using a stock kernel, no compile here. I installed
> > the sources to try to
> > workaround vmware.
> >

> After reading  this thread I install Vmware on a
>  Sid box. .Here are the steps I used without the any-any patches. I
> ran this from a TTY since, I think, failures have occured while doing
> this in X with a Konsole.
>
> 1. dl the source & unpack > 'l -s linux' in /usr/src/
> 2. cp -a /boot/config-<kernel-version>  '/usr/src/linux/.config'
> 3. run 'make oldconfig', takes just a few seconds
>
> Now Vmware is able to find the correct headers to match the running
> kernel.
>
> For some reason the headers shipped with the kerenl don't satisfy
> Vmware?

The problem is, the any-any patches are bug fixes and enhancements made
to the vmware sources.

It would be in your best interest to install them. You should use the
linux-headers that comes with Debian.

It is a flaw with VMware that makes it the problem.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup