Re: re-partition my hard disk

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 09:46:36PM -0800, rocky wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> On my PC I have 2 hard disks. The primary one has Windows XP
> installed. Afterwards, I decide to learn Linux. So I got another Hard
> disk and installed Debian stable successfully on it. Now, I'm thinking
> of make my PC serve as the file back up server for my home office.  I
> will install backuppc in my debian stable. Till now my secondary hard
> disk is not partitioned at all. I'm thinking of partition the hard
> disk so I can allocate a separate portion solely for backuppc. Can any
> of you give me some hints on how to accomplish this please? Does the
> partition have the risk of wipping my debian stable system out? How
> can I prevent this please?

There may be some disk-type black magic but this involves trying to:
	shrink the filesystem (which it may or may not be able to do)
	shrink the partition
	make a new partition.

Whatever you do, have good backups and an alternate means of booting.

It would be easiest to just add a third hard disk.  Failing that:

	(I'd personlly get rid of XP)
	reinstall onto that second hard drive.  While you're at it, go
	with Etch.

Doug.