Trouble with encrypted filesystems

Hello, it's me again:

After "solving" my troubles with transferring data between different
storage devices (see the recent thread "System freeze when copying
files" on this list, archived at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2007/02/msg00129.html) by using the
linux-image-2.6.18-486 kernel instead of the -k7 one (on a K7 machine),
I thought I'd finally be ready to take the next step with my new
portable USB drive: set up an encrypted partition on the USB disk to
transfer stuff between my home and office computer. I don't like the
idea of people getting their hands on my stuff should the disk get
stolen or lost.

Anyway, I used cryptsetup to setup a partition (is there a way to
somehow automate this, so that one doesn't have to use "cryptsetup
create ..." each time before mounting the disk?) and started dumping
data onto the disk. After few seconds: Hard freeze (system completely
dead, needed cold reboot, no logs). To locate the problem I set up an
encrypted partition on the local disk, to see if the problem is related
to cross-device data transfer. Same result.

Moreover I noticed that just having an encrypted partition mounted
--local or via USB-- will kill the system after a few minutes.

Sheesh, this is starting to get on my nerves. This machine, by the way,
has been running sarge for a long time (I set it up at about the time
when sarge became stable) without ever making trouble.

Hints, ideas, anyone?

--D.