Re: install 4.0 on usb hdd

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 01:55:21PM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >>
> >>I am having trouble using my USB disk with mkinitrd.yaird, because you
> >>cannot generate the image on a different system than the one you would
> >>boot from. At least I don't know how.
> >
> >chroot into the system and run mkinitrd.yaird within the chroot.
>
> That doesn't work, I tried.

meaning that the initrd generated won't boot? or that mkinitrd fails?
output?

> YOu
> >can also manually edit bits of the yaird config files to make it point
> >to the right devices for booting.
>
> But what to change? Documentation is very scarce.

I had success editing MOUNTDIR and MOUNTDEV in
/etc/yaird/Default.cfg when I was in the process of moving my system
to RAID. You've got to get the initrd to point to the right device for
"/" so that when does the pivot-root it will be there. So what device
does the USB disk com up as and change MOUNTDEV so that it points to
that device. Note that it still needs to appear in fstab the right
way.

I actually built an initrd in a different system (same machine) by
modifying the in-place fstab, and /etc/yaird/Default.cfg so that they
matched the way the new system was supposed to come up. made the
initrd and transferred it to the new system and it worked. ymmv