Re: best terminal emulator for emacs -nw?

Gnu_Raiz <Gnu-Raiz@midsouth.rr.com> wrote:

>>From: Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca>
> Wrote one day while in band camp:
>> I'm trying to get emacs setup for mutt and slrn. It works really well,
>> except for one thing. When I use it as my editor with emacs -nw, the
>> alt- key combos get muddled by xterm en route to emacs, so that I have
>> to use ESC instead. Is this unavoidable, or is there a terminal
>> emulator that allows for the use of meta keys?

> I assume you know about gnus right? Some would say that using slrn, and
> mutt with emacs is heresy!

some people seem to like the color scheme

(mutt and tin with ncurses here, editing with vile ;-)

> You might want to try the emacswiki it has some good knowledge, if your
> really up for some abuse try the emacs irc channel on freenode. Most will
> probably point you to the wiki, and laugh unless you find a kind soul who
> will help you. But your probably going to get a lot of questions about
> the "proper way to use gnus". This might be what your looking for!

> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/XtermExtras

That looks like enough for him to start on.  Even _newer_ xterm can do
more.  Perhaps some Emacs user will make a package using xterm's
modifyOtherKeys escape sequence - see notes starting here:

	http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.log.html#xterm_216

Anyway - he shouldn't _have_ to use ESC (with xterm).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net