Re: Attracting newbies (Was Booting Debian/testing fails)

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 07:45:17PM +0000, Chris Lale wrote:
> Michael Pobega wrote:
> >Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >[...]  I think in reality Debian doesn't cater to a lot of people's
> >needs
>
> On the other hand, there must be a lot of people who would find Debian a
> great solution if only they could get started.

Amen Brother!

> >(The more common desktop user just wants Beryl and eye candy, whereas
> >Debian really offers only stability), and there's really nothing we
> >can do about it.
>
> This may be true for gamers and the like, but stabilty and security are
> surely more important for a large number of home users who buy online,
> bank online, use digital cameras, etc?

I disagree. Granted it *should* be that way, but I think people *want*
the whizz-bang new stuff. It may not be what they need or should have,
but it is what they want. Why else would people buy new cars every 2
years? Not because there is anything wrong with the old one except
htat its not new. I know this goes counter to my argument in the
parent thread that people using computers don't like change, but I
think it follows. They want to stick with what they know until they
can get the new whizz-bang thing and then they jump. Their needs are
not a consideration in that. If they were many many people would still
be using 486's with wp5.0 or something along those lines.

[...]>

> >The one thing I really don't understand, though, is why people use
> >Ubuntu.
>
> I read in a Linux magazine that Ubuntu's popularity was mainly due to a
> vibrant community. Well, if that is the case, Debian already has that -
> it just doesn't yet have much of a focus on "complete newbies" or
> "BDUs". I think that Douglas's ideas for "complete computer newbies"
> could help to fill this gap.

yup.