Re: best terminal emulator for emacs -nw?

Tyler,

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 03:55:05PM +0000, Tyler Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get emacs setup for mutt and slrn. It works really well,
> except for one thing. When I use it as my editor with emacs -nw, the
> alt- key combos get muddled by xterm en route to emacs, so that I have
> to use ESC instead. Is this unavoidable, or is there a terminal
> emulator that allows for the use of meta keys?

Try adding this to your ~/.Xresoures (or ~/.Xdefaults if that is what
you have named it):

xterm*metaSendsEscape: true

That seems to work for me. I also often use (u)rxvt, but that doesn't
have a special option set (it may, however, look at the xterm options
first, in which case that might be why).

--
Michael V. De Palatis
Georgia Institute of Technology

em vee dee at gatech dot ee dee yoo