Re: best terminal emulator for emacs -nw?

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 03:55:05PM +0000, Tyler Smith wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to get emacs setup for mutt and slrn. It works really well,
> except for one thing. When I use it as my editor with emacs -nw, the
> alt- key combos get muddled by xterm en route to emacs, so that I have
> to use ESC instead. Is this unavoidable, or is there a terminal
> emulator that allows for the use of meta keys?

Try adding this to your ~/.Xresoures (or ~/.Xdefaults if that is what
you have named it):

xterm*metaSendsEscape: true

That seems to work for me. I also often use (u)rxvt, but that doesn't
have a special option set (it may, however, look at the xterm options
first, in which case that might be why).

Michael V. De Palatis
Georgia Institute of Technology
School of Physics
837 State Street