Re: Removing desktop environments

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 02:51:13PM -0500, cga2000 wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 02:06:57PM EST, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 13:42 -0500, cga2000 wrote:
 >
> > The issue here is that you only need to backup your data. Backups
> > of /usr and /var and so on mean nothing.
>
> you don't think backups of /var/log might come in handy?

Presumably, the system is running correctly when /var/log would be
backed up.  If it later dies (by fire, flood, whatever), the errors
produced during dying throes won't be availble on backup.

> Now on the other hand if your are looking at a system that has dozens of
> patches installed and lots of customized software you definitely do not
> want to reinstall and then have to go through the hassle of going
> through all that customization in an emergency.  In the real world,
> that's one excellent reason why having a copy of your executables makes
> a lot of sense.

I think that on Debian, anything under /usr and /var (not /usr/local or
/var/local) should be considered to belong to apt.  I wouldn't install
manually anything else there.  If you're taking packages, installing
them, then altering them, I think you'd be better to repackage your
changes and install the resulting debs.  Store these debs as backup.  Or
move the whole thing to /usr/local or /opt (which you would then
backup).

Then again, I think that mondo/mindi does what you do.

Doug.