Re: Removing desktop environments

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 13:42 -0500, cga2000 wrote:
> Sorry I was unclear.
>
> I want to remove all the crud from my system in order to be able to run
> backups that are fast, small, and simple.
>
> I installed gnome and kde at one point but I never use them.
>
> I have no intention of reinstalling them at a later date.

The issue here is that you only need to backup your data. Backups
of /usr and /var and so on mean nothing.

dpkg --get-selections > installed.packages.list

tar jcvf $DATE-backup.tar.bz2 /home installed.packages.list /etc

It really make ZERO sense to do full backups this way. Debian can be
installed as a base system and then re-installed faster and easier than
restoring.

You really only need backup your list of installed packages, /etc
and /home and anywhere else you have stored REAL data.

Remember, you are not dealing with Windows. Most Unix systems, things
like Netware and OSX are all designed to be re-installed quickly and
then the "data" restored quickly.

A /usr on a CD does you a crap-load of no-good if you system is toast.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup