Re: Button icons lost from KDE desktop and Konqueror

On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 18:08:30 -0500, Ken Heard wrote:
> I have a P4 box with Sarge and KDE in it.  Today, after having
> installing Etch with KDE from scratch on a laptop, I had occasion to use
> the KDE control centre in order to have my KDE preferences on both boxes
> the same.  (In due course I will upgrade to Etch the P4 box.)
>
> When I was finished I closed the control centre on the P4 box.  I then
> noticed that the icon buttons on the KDE desktop panel were missing,
> e.g, those on the "Lock-out/Log-out" applet.  Icons are also gone from
> the K menu, Konqueror menus and the directory tree,  and from some of
> the pop-up windows as well.  (I have not checked them all.)
>
> The missing icons seem to be those in the various directories named
> "actions" under /usr/share/icons/[whatever directory the link
> default.kde points to]/[appropriate icon size]/actions/*.png.  Obviously
> something is broken.  I don't know how I did it; so I cannot replicate
> what I did.
>
> I am at a loss to know what to do to get these icons back.  Anyone have
> any ideas or suggestions?

Check which theme you have selected in "Control Center > Appearance &
Themes > Icons". "Crystal SVG" should be a safe bet.

If all else fails you can rename ~/.kde and ~/.kderc so that new
versions (with default settings) will be created when you start KDE (or
log in with KDM) the next time. You will lose all your other
customizations of the settings if you do this, though.

--
Regards,
          Florian