Button icons lost from KDE desktop and Konqueror

I have a P4 box with Sarge and KDE in it. Today, after having installing Etch with KDE from scratch on a laptop, I had occasion to use the KDE control centre in order to have my KDE preferences on both boxes the same. (In due course I will upgrade to Etch the P4 box.)

When I was finished I closed the control centre on the P4 box. I then noticed that the icon buttons on the KDE desktop panel were missing, e.g, those on the "Lock-out/Log-out" applet. Icons are also gone from the K menu, Konqueror menus and the directory tree, and from some of the pop-up windows as well. (I have not checked them all.)

The missing icons seem to be those in the various directories named "actions" under /usr/share/icons/[whatever directory the link default.kde points to]/[appropriate icon size]/actions/*.png. Obviously something is broken. I don't know how I did it; so I cannot replicate what I did.

I am at a loss to know what to do to get these icons back. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

				Ken Heard
				Toronto, Canada