Re: The Final Frontier. Upgrading Sarge to Etch

On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 09:22:04AM -0800, tony mollica wrote:
> Just upgraded mine.  I've been fearing that upgrade as the
> report for the upgrade
> showed hundreds of packages to be removed.  What I did was copy
> the current
> installation to another disk, made it bootable so I have the
> original disk intact.
>
> Ran the update and dist-upgrade many times, including installing
> the new kernel
> 2.6.18 to get the udev stuff.  After a while I finally reached
> the point where no packages
> were being removed, added updated, etc and the installation
> works fine.  I have a post
> labeled 'Debian testing, alsa and cups' in here somewhere that
> is a request for help
> to find a couple of relatively minor problems (but annoying).
>
> The test was what would happen if I just ran the upgrade and see
> if a bootable
> system resulted, and it worked.  Unfortunately I don't keep good
> records so I can't
> give a step by step.  I did follow a procedure I found somewhere
> in the documentation
> that recommended some updates prior to the upgrade.  The
> Aptitude was one of
> them.  Also, one of the responders to my post mentioned above
> had a link to
> a procedure that also may help.
>
> Have fun.

By the way, you're top-posting.

It was not the xfree->xorg transition that killed my upgrades; I
weathered that one fairly well.  My system died in the transition from
xorg 6.9 to xorg 7.0.  The installer daily build I installed on Jan 2,
2007 seens to have done a decent job of getting X up (on a fresh
install, mind you, I didn't try an upgrade) but I suffered severe
file-system damage with that one.  It may have been hard disk problems;
it may also have been that I was one of the few hit by a race condition
in the Debian 2.6.18-3 kernel.  I posted a bug report; it's probably
been fixed in 2.6.18-4, and I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival on 2.6.18-4
into etch and its installer.  The hard disk problem is such that I don't
*think* it caused the particular symptoms I had, but it's hard to know
for sure.  Instead of investigating the install failure further, I've
been replacing the hard disk.

I do expect that the upgrade path will become smooth by the time etch
is stable, and that once that happens, you won't need to reinstall.

-- hendrik