Re: The Final Frontier. Upgrading Sarge to Etch

Just upgraded mine. I've been fearing that upgrade as the report for the upgrade showed hundreds of packages to be removed. What I did was copy the current installation to another disk, made it bootable so I have the original disk intact.

Ran the update and dist-upgrade many times, including installing the new kernel 2.6.18 to get the udev stuff. After a while I finally reached the point where no packages were being removed, added updated, etc and the installation works fine. I have a post labeled 'Debian testing, alsa and cups' in here somewhere that is a request for help
to find a couple of relatively minor problems (but annoying).

The test was what would happen if I just ran the upgrade and see if a bootable system resulted, and it worked. Unfortunately I don't keep good records so I can't give a step by step. I did follow a procedure I found somewhere in the documentation that recommended some updates prior to the upgrade. The Aptitude was one of them. Also, one of the responders to my post mentioned above had a link to
a procedure that also may help.

Have fun.