Re: Pathetic SATA performance

On 2007-02-02 07:56 -0000, Pete Clarke wrote:

> >I'd still prefer to have all my RAID drives be the same manufacturer
> >+ model.  Maybe that's just an ingrained habit I picked up in the
> >1990s.
>
> Indeed ... I thought it would be better to have all the same, as
> I remember different brands of drive sometimes had
> incompatibilities (WD and Maxtor spring to mind).

I don't think that would be an issue with SATA since there is no
shared bus.

> Also, as it defaults to the smallest size, having all drives the
> same means you don't lose any more space than the parity drive.

Disk sizes are rather uniform these days. As far as I can tell
IBM/Hitachi, Samsung, Seagate and Western Digital have the same
size (200 GB = 24321 cylinders, 250 GB = 30401 cylinders, 500 GB =
60801 cylinders). The only exception is Maxtor which is always a
little bigger (250 GB = 30515 cylinders).

--
André Majorel <http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
bugs.debian.org, food for your spambots.