Re: Pathetic SATA performance

On 2007-02-01 20:34 -0000, Pete Clarke wrote:

> I have a file server, running Etch, with the following specs:
>
> P4, 1.7Ghz
> 512MB Ram
> 2 x SI based SATA I controllers
> 4 x Maxtor 250GB SATA drives
>
> It is set up with software RAID 5, and the overall performance
> is terrible.
>
> bungo:~# hdparm -tT /dev/md0
>
> /dev/md0:
> Timing cached reads:     2 MB in  4.71 seconds = 435.05 kB/sec
> Timing buffered disk reads:    8 MB in  3.13 seconds =   2.56 MB/sec

There was/is an issue with certain Maxtor SATA hard disk drives.
In some cases, it is necessary to force them to SATA-I mode (1.5
gb/s). There's a jumper in the back for that.

> 4 x Maxtor 250GB SATA drives

(Incidentally I would recommend against making a RAID array from
several drives from the same manufacturer. Especially if they're
the same model. Even more so if they're the same batch.)

--
André Majorel <http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
Discriminating spammers prefer bugs.debian.org.