[OT] Re: How to make work dual monitors with Debian etch on an IBM x60s ThinkPad?

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 12:32:19 -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 09:16:33PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > [ Please have a look at how I trim quoted messages below and how I put
> >   the "answers" below the relevant "questions" in the older mail(s).
> >   This makes it easier for the other subscribers of this list to follow
> >   our exchange. Ideally, every single email should be a self-explanatory
> >   and concise "story" told in chronological order. Please consider
> >   changing your quoting and posting style accordingly. ]
>
> with all the various threads and rants about posting style, I have to
> say this is by far the best way to "chastise" a poster and express the
> "proper" way to do things (lay off guys, not claiming one way is more
> or less proper here...)
>
> Nice job Florian, though its a lot of typing...

Thanks. I am currently trying the "speak softly and carry a killfile"
approach to top-posting. I have to admit, though, that I was sorely
tempted to flame a few people in last week's top-posting thread. At that
time I was away at a conference and the host institution only gave us
port 80 internet connectivity over their wlan. Having to read this list
through a non-threaded webmail interface really makes you grow tired of
top-posting and untrimmed quotations very very rapidly.

I am convinced that most people will see the advantages of "proper"
posting on high-traffic mailing lists if you explain the relevant points
nicely. I think in the end it just comes down to "enlightened self-
interest" - the more accessible your messages are for everybody, the
more you will profit yourself from participating here. We might have to
be careful, though, not to scare away new list members by barking a curt
"please do not top post" at them without further explanation.

--
Regards,
          Florian